When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Generators

"Gas!" It's not just for WWI and Russian client-states any more.

“Gas!” It’s not just for WWI and Russian client-states any more.

They tell you don’t put a generator indoors. They tell you don’t put it in the garage. Hell’s bells, they even put a series of idiot- and illiterate-proof cartoon graphics on it, so you don’t put it where the colorless, odorless carbon monoxide in its exhaust will get in where you breathe it.

86-year-old Ruby Bell and her husband, 87-year-old Robert Bell, were found dead at home by their son over the weekend. He said the time of death was believed to be Friday night.

Russell Watson, the Duncan Chapel Fire District chief, told The Greenville News that the couple had lost power during the storm and a relative had set up a generator in their garage. Watson said the relative left the garage door propped open with a ladder, but it somehow closed and the generator filled the house with carbon monoxide.

via Coroner: South Carolina Couple Dies of Carbon Monoxide.

As it happens, hemoglobin, the stuff in your red blood cells that takes on oxygen in your lungs and brings it to every cell in your body, delivering the precious oxygen to all the cells that must have O2 or die, likes O2 a lot, but chemically prefers CO — carbon monoxide.

So, get a CO detector (or several), and don’t run engines, whether for cars, snowblowers, generators, anything, inside the house or inside an attached garage.

It will not harm your generator to put it out on the walk or driveway, or for snow to fall on it. But it may harm you not to put it out there.

If all else fails, read the cartoons on the jeezly thing.

5 thoughts on “When Guns are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have Generators

  1. Gray

    CO poisoning (if survived) can cause lasting cardio pulmonary damage. Best practice treatment is rapid entry into a hyperbaric chamber to increase PaO2 as much as possible to break the CO bonding as quickly as possible.

  2. Tennessee Budd

    Hognose, I couldn’t find a contact email for you, so I’m putting this here. Thought you might use this addition to the never-ending series on ways idiots can kill themselves.

    http://smokeybarn.com/second-teen-dies-after-drinking-racing-fuel-cocktail/

    http://www.newschannel5.com/news/local-news/2-robertson-county-teens-die-after-drinking-racing-fuel

    This happened in Greenbrier, TN, the little town nearest my rural home. When my peers & I were younger, we (and perhaps you) did a lot of stupid things. We were never however, dumb enough to think that drinking racing fuel would be a good idea.

  3. Peter O

    I’ve read at least 3 stories this winter of people dying in cars that ran off the road, but otherwise unharmed, because of “the gas” while waiting for a towtruck. Not sure if it is more prevalent this year or judt better publicity.
    But If the exhaust pipe is blocked, turns out a modern car does a good approximation of an enclosed box. If you get burried off road, turn it off or dig a clear space. Or else you can take the final nap.

  4. Docduracoat

    If you want a painless way to kill yourself, this is it.
    No mess for others to have to clean up.
    Seems painless.
    Just turn on the motor in a closed space, like a garage.
    Easy, peasy, no muss, no fuss, suicide

  5. archy

    ***Hell’s bells, they even put a series of idiot- and illiterate-proof cartoon graphics on it, so you don’t put it where the colorless, odorless carbon monoxide in its exhaust will get in where you breathe it.***

    My real preference is for the stick-on safety warning on plastic tubs with lids, with a little infant with a circle/slash no-no warning advising you to not use the thing ass a crib. They come off pretty easily with just a little patience in removing them, and look just right on the side of a .50 caliber M2A1 ammo can.

Comments are closed.